Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sitting by the Stream



This scene reminds me of a trip we once made to the Smoky Mountains. Our son was just 8. He took his shoes off (thankfully), waded into the stream and just sat on a rock for a while. That was peace! That was bliss!

The thing was - he got into the stream - didn't just sit by it.

Jesus said,

If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him. (John 7:37b-38)

Water is so refreshing, so nourishing, so essesntial to life! On hot days that cold bottle of water can taste really good!

Spiritually speaking, we need to be replenished daily by the waters offered to us in the Word and in worship. Some people are dying of thirst and they don't even know it.

What's your source of spiritual refreshment?

3 comments:

Strange Man in a Strange Land said...

I don't remember if I was that old when we went there - but that's what happens when you're young.

I think for me, now as well as then, water and seeing God beauty in creation has brought to me a sense of refreshment, and when the strength of scripture is brought in even more is done. That and music is what helps me to be able to recharge the batteries so that I can keep going.

Erin said...

IF not thirt, many Christians are starving. We need to be spiritually fed. I hear many people say, "I don't need to go to church! Why I can worship God at my house." But what they lack is someone who has studied Gods word and can help teach it to them. I have been guilty of this myself back in high school. But boy don't those few bites of hearing the word taste so good! Why did I stop feeding myself like this?
My art can also be my stream. Each stroke of the mouse with its digital brushes, much like a foot swirling the water around. Its therapeutic and knowing God gave me this gift.

logosexpo said...

Hi! Thanks. Yes, water - whether a stream or an ocean - just refreshing. And, Erin, I'm glad you picked up the point about worship - our gathering together, and how important it is. Just being together with other believers can be refreshing and invigorating. Add the Word, some music, some fellowship, inspiration and service and you can be good to go. As Hebrews 10:25 says, "Let us not give up meeting together . . ." Interesting to know that we can be refreshment for someone else, isn't it? yes, our world is so 'connected,' but we are still very much isolated from one another. We need to be in relationship, true, deep relationship, to really begin to sense what the Church is all about.
Blessings!