Thursday, September 27, 2007

Pictures of God

Hi, again! I tried to find a beautiful picture that would describe the majesty and glory of God. Images, of course, do fail us. Words can try, but they only touch the very edges of who God is.

There are so many word pictures in the Bible of God - his power, majesty and awe. They give us a little glimpse, a little taste.

But who is God to me? Who is he to you?

David describes him for himself at many times in many ways - the shepherd in Psalm 23, the King - in many Psalms, the warrior - Psalm 18. David could relate to all of these images - they were reflections, in essence , of his own life.

After all, don't we see God in this way, too - what we know and understand, what is familiar to us? Or, what we need him to be at this moment in this particular situation?

But the Psalms also give us pictures of God beyond ourselves and our situations. We need to know that he is more than we picture him. Somehow, we are always trying to box him into a comfortable snapshot that we can point to and say 'this is God.'

I'm glad he's bigger and greater than I am - it gives me comfort while, at the same time, it makes me stand in awe of him and worship him.

Psalm 18:2
The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

This is an amazing picture of the protection God gives his loved ones. This image runs throughout many Psalms - God as 'Rock.'

My mind visualizes Helm's Deep in Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers This gives me a picture of how a fortress is founded in rock. Hope and safety are there. The battle rages, but the rock protects and the Lord comes with his salvation.

How is God your fortress? Is he your Rock?

2 comments:

Erin said...

I think of the great mountain faces at our National parks. They are vast and make their presence known, and tempt many adrenalin junkies to climb and jump off them. But sometimes I feel its hard to hang on to something so big. To keep your grip and not fall off takes faith. Sometimes the hand holds are not always ideal to keep climbing and others fall off and into the canyon below. At the same time, such a strong and powerful God can be such the opposite in love and kindness. Are you climbing the rock face of God? Its an upward test of our faith endurance.

Erin said...

When will your blog/devotionals come back? I miss them!