Sunday, September 16, 2007

Get some Sleep

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, again! Sorry - no picture this time. I just couldn't find quite the right image - and I'm too tired to try again. (strike three and I'm out!) That's the whole point - I'm just too tired!

Ever get that way? So tired you can't think, move . . . or SLEEP! It was a big, intense week. A great week - just real long and intense. So I am bone tired. Now I have to trust that tonight, maybe tonight, I'll get some real sleep. It has eluded me for three nights!

Which brings me to the Word for today:
'In vain you rise up early and stay up late,toiling for food to eat - for he grants sleep to those he loves.' (Psalm 127:2)

Well, I know God loves me. He gives us all work and work is good. How many workaholics are out there? Let's go for 'everything in moderation' and remember that sleep has its purpose. A great purpose. Rest. Which leads to shalom. True well-being. Can't get it without the sleep. So,

'Nity-nite!' :)

4 comments:

Strange Man in a Strange Land said...

When I was in college one of my mentors who was a professor, but whose class I never took taught me the meaning of Shalom - to have everything that would bring you to a peace. There is something about a good nap or sleep cycle that just puts you in a peaceful state. Following in the footsteps (or maybe that's snore-steps) of the men of my family, I can sleep just about anywhere, anytime. Sometimes "sleep" doesn't give rest, sometimes it does. I find that when I rest after thinking about the Lord, it does make me sleep in a more restful manner.

logosexpo said...

Good call, Strange man, that sleep does not always bring true 'rest' or 'shalom.' But it can be one step. To be physically rested perhaps helps toward alleviating some of the 'stuff' that might get in the way of 'shalom.' Now, last night I still did not sleep really well. At first my mind was racing with all the 'stuff' coming up. Then my stomach kicked in, then I just started dreaming. No real rest there. maybe tonight.

Erin said...

aka Erin with this other name I can't switch to...If workaholic is one..what about over time aholics? Its so tempting to want to work the extra hours when you know its getting banked as time and a half. We delight to see the extra money or if your state has income tax, the less then desired extra amount. We can become a slave to the extra greed. Sometimes its hard for me to resist working longer hours. And it catches up to me where the next week I am burnt out and then want to only put in less then 8 hours.

Its sad when you go to bed to rest your heads and thoughts, but turn into anxiety dreams where nothing works out the way you want it to. Then the rest of your day is a bit out of wack because they felt to real and of horrible things you would never do in real life.

Peace should be prayed for, but start with yourself first. Other wise how well can you promote peace when you yourself isn't there yourself.

logosexpo said...

I agree, artchick. Balance is where it is at! If we could get some perspective and balance on things, true shalom could come into the picture!